Your selection of songs can make or break your whole wedding ceremony. Music plays an important role in the direction your big day will go. Music determines the ambience and a good song can take the atmosphere from zero to a hundred real quick.
After deciding on the theme to go with for your wedding, you have to decide on décor, color combinations, seating arrangements, food, etc. Most times, people tend to overlook the kind of music and they leave the decision for the last minute.
Whether you’re having a DJ or a live band, your wedding theme should determine the kind of music you’ll have blasting out of the speakers.
For your beach-themed wedding, think of summer vibes. Think upbeat songs to be commensurate with the mood. Think warm-weathered, relaxing songs. Remember the songs you love hearing anytime you are at the beach.
There are a lot of beach and summer-themed songs out there so I have compiled a list of them for you to choose from. The selection process can also be an anticipatory activity for you and your partner.
26 Reception Songs
- “Island in the Sun” by Weezer – The tempo of this song happens to be just perfect for your wedding. The lyrics talk of running away together and spending time forever.
- “I Don’t Care” by Ed Sheeran featuring Justin Bieber – This popular upbeat song is the song to get everyone up on their feet and dancing. Your wedding playlist is truly incomplete without it.
- “We Found Love” by Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris – Ten years ago Rihanna released this classic song. It’s perfect from the amazing beat that Calvin Harris provides to Rihanna’s voice to the song lyrics. The song brings to mind falling in love and being carefree.
- “Summer Love” by Justin Timberlake – What other song will depict your beach-themed wedding than one that has “summer” in it? With the lyrics “I can’t wait to fall in love with you, You can’t wait to fall in love with me, this just can’t be summer love.”
- “Count on You” by Johnny Drille – This soothing song is just right to set the mood to a relaxed ambience. It can also double as your first dance song.
- “We Belong Together” by Mariah Carey – This is a beautiful and romantic song for a wedding.
- “Lovely Day” by Bill Withers – Rain or shine, your wedding day is a lovely day.
- “Night Moves” by Bob Seger
- “Hands to Myself” by Selena Gomez
- “I Like It,” by Cardi B, featuring Bad Bunny and J Balvin
- “A Thousand Miles,” by Vanessa Carlton
- “Let Me Blow Ya Mind,” by Eve, featuring Gwen Stefani
- “Ocean Avenue,” by Yellowcard
- “Hips Don’t Lie,” by Shakira, featuring Wyclef Jean
- “Crazy in Love,” by Beyoncé, featuring Jay-Z
- “Uptown Funk,” by Bruno Mars
- “What I Like About You,” by The Romantics
- “Party in the U.S.A.,” by Miley Cyrus
- “Dancing in the Street,” by Mick Jagger and David Bowie
- “Love on Top,” by Beyoncé
- “Thinking Out Loud,” by Ed Sheeran.
- “Despacito,” by Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee
- “Watermelon Sugar,” Harry Styles
- “Cake by the Ocean,” by DNCE – You won’t be able to keep people off the dance floor with this one.
- “Kokomo,” The Beach Boys – Young and old will move and groove to the Beach Boys
- “I’m Yours,” Jason Mraz
First Dance Songs
Here are 10 songs that you can dance to on the beach for your first dance as a couple.
- “Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- “Kiss the Girl” Disney’s The Little Mermaid
- “Better Together” Jack Johnson
- “Is This Love” by Bob Marley
- “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri
- “Marry Me” by Train
- “Because You Loved Me” by Celine Dion
- “All You Need Is Love” by The Beatles
- “All Of Me” by John Legend
- “How Long Will I Love You” by Ellie Goulding
Bride Entrance Songs
Perfect songs to let the people know the bridal party is on their way
- “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and The Waves
- “Good Times” by Chic
- “Loco Contigo” by DJ Snake, J. Balvin, Tyga
- “Jump in the Line” by Harry Belafonte
Get-People-Out-of-Their-Seats Reception Songs
Seven songs that are guaranteed to get your guests on their feet and moving to the rhythm.
- “Steal My Sunshine” by Len
- “Who Let the Dogs Out” by Baha Men
- “No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problem” by Kenny Chesney
- “Marry You” by Bruno Mars
- “In the Summertime” by Mungo Jerry
- “Banana Boat (Day-O)” by Harry Belafonte
- “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” by Whitney Houston
Tips for Choosing Your Wedding Songs
There are various ways to choose songs for your wedding. Some sentimental, and some based on popularity. Here are some fail-proof ways of selecting the best songs for your big day.
- First date – Some couples can remember the songs they heard in the restaurant on their first date or the songs that were on the radio as they took a walk hand-in-hand after their date. If you do remember these songs, add them to your wedding playlist to remind you of fond memories.
- Start Early – Most people leave the selection of their wedding music as the last thing on their checklist. This leads to rushed choices and accidentally hearing Adele’s break-up song while having your first dance.
- Family choice – You can each ask the members of your family to include songs they might want to hear at the wedding to the playlist. You might want to skip asking your 2-year-old nephew though.
- Popular choice – You can choose songs that are popular at the time of the wedding. This is perfect for sing-along moments so everyone knows the lyrics. You can find popular songs in the “trending” category of any streaming platform.
- Professional DJ – You can engage the service of a professional DJ. They can help you run through your choices and add to them. Some DJs can also provide you with a mixtape before the wedding so you can listen to the songs beforehand.
- Inspiration – You can throw in those songs that leave you smiling and thinking of your partner every time you hear them. It doesn’t matter how crazy the song is. The crazier the better.
- Explore – You do not have to be conformed to traditional wedding songs. You can explore songs from other countries and even other continents.
- Lyrics – Let the lyrics of the song guide you. Lyrics that increase the flame in your heart and make you want to love your partner forever and ever should definitely be added to your playlist.